Advanced Topics in Databases
Goals and Objectives:
In recent years, there has been an explosion of information in a variety
of environments that pose significantly different data management
challenges than traditional database domains. Examples include semantic
heterogeneity, sensor networks, World Wide Web, scientific domains, XML,
P2P networks etc. This course is a combination of various advanced
topics. The aim of this course is to explore the latest techniques,
trends, ideas, and what are involved in designing and evaluating the
cutting-edge database technologies.
Data caching and replication.
Semi-structured data (i.e., XML) storage.
Mapping between XML and relational databases.
Pervasive and mobile distributed database management
- M.T. Ozsu, P. Valduriez (eds.): Principles of Distributed
Database Systems (2nd Edition), Prentice Hall, 1999
- K.R. Dittrich and A. Geppert, Component Database Systems,
- A. Abiteboul, P. Buneman, and D. Suciu, Data on the Web,
- A. Helal et al., Any Time, Anywhere Computing, Kluwer, 1999.
- E. Pitoura and G. Samaras, Data Management for Mobile
Computing, Kluwer, 1998.
- J. Han and M. Kamber, Data Mining - Concpets and Techniques,
- P. Bernstein and E. Newcomer, Principles of Transaction
Processing. Morgan Kaufmann, 1997.
- G. Weikum and G. Vossen, Transactional
Information Systems. Morgan Kaufmann, 2002.
- M. Buretta, Data Replication. Wiley, 1997.
- Data Integration:
- M. Lenzerini, "Data integration: A theoretical perspective", Proc.
Symp. on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), 2002, pages: 233-245
- E. Rahm and P.A. Bernstein, "A Survey of Approaches to Automatic
Schema Matching", VLDB Journal, 10: 334-350, 2001.
- L. M. Haas, D. Kossmann, E. L. Wimmers, and J. Yang, "Optimizing Queries
Across Diverse Data Sources", In Proc. VLDB Conference, pages: 276-285,
- R. Fagin. "Combining Fuzzy Information: an Overview, ACM SIGMOD
Record, 31(2), 2002
- C. Batini, and M. Lenzerini, "A Comparative Analysis of
Methodologies for Database Schema Integration", ACM Computing
Surveys, Vol. 18, No. 4: 323 -364 December 1986
- P. Shvaiko and J. Euzenat, "A Survey of Schema-based Matching
Approaches", Journal on Data Semantics ,Vol: 4, pages: 146
-171, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3730 Springer 2005.
- R.J. Miller, et.al., "Schema Mapping as Query Discovery", In
Proc. of the 26th VLDB Conference, pages: 77 - 88, Egypt, 2000
- H. Do, E. Rahm, "COMA - A System for Flexible Combination of
Schema Matching Approaches", In Proc. of the 28th VLDB Conference,
pages: , 2002
- P2P Data Management
Furthermore, a collection of papers addressing specific topics will be
distributed in class.
Distributed Database Systems
||Department of Computer Science, University of Manitoba
Distributed Database Systems
||School of Computer Science, McGill University, Canada
Distributed Database Systems on the World Wide
||Whiting School of Engineering, Johns Hopkins University
Elkridge, MD 21075, USA
Distributed and Parallel Database Systems
||Department of Information Technology,
Uppsala University, Sweden
Parallel and Distributed Databases
||Information and Communication Systems Research Group,
Institute for Pervasive Computing, ETH Zurich,Switzerland
Distributed Information Systems
||Distributed Information Systems Laboratory
School of Computer and Communication Sciences, EPFL, Lausanne,
||Faculty of Computer Science, Free University of Bozen -
For more information click here